Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The AHHH moment

Today, K you and I were out going to see the baby ducks and chicks that are growing in our out-building.  Then we went outside and I watched you play for a few minutes.  One minute you were right next to me the next moment you were gone, gone, gone.

Then it seemed as if everything went in slow motion. I said a prayer in my head and started calling your name.

I called and called. I checked all the doors. The only doors that were unlocked was the back door that we had gone out of.  I walked around the house, then I ran around the house hoping somehow I had not missed you. All the doors were closed, you tend to leave them open and some of them are a challenge to open. But they all seemed undisturbed.

I searched for twenty minutes and called my friend, Kristen Frome.   She came right over.  The whole time I searched I prayed, hoped that the snuggle we had this morning was not our last snuggle, prayed that if someone had taken her that she would have extra protection and that I would find her quickly.

"Don't panic," I told myself. "You might miss something important."  "Please help me!" "Let her be safe."  "Breathe."

Kristen pulled into the driveway and every ounce of worry came flooding out with a red face and salty tears.  She hugged and comforted me and asked me where I had looked so far.  I tell you, if you ever have an emergency, she's the friend to call because she is so clear minded and able.  She is an answer to prayer, especially right at that moment.

As I walked her toward the back yard, I looked up.  At the window to the playroom I saw you, K,  waving at me gleefully.

Then the tears came even faster than before, only this time they were of relief and gratitude.  Gratitude that the Lord heard my prayers, gratitude for friends who drop everything and come running, gratitude that you were okay.


You'd gone into the house, closed all the doors (which have child locks on the inside so you couldn't come back out).  You had gone through the house taking off your shoes, socks, and jacket.  You'd gone into my room and pulled back the blinds so you could see better outside.  That must have taken a lot of thought and was excellent problem solving, especially for a toddler.

Do you know how much I love you?  I am so grateful we have you!  So thankful for answered prayers!  Even now, even though it is the evening, remembering how I felt and the helpless desperation makes my eyes tear up.  I'm going to be keeping an extra close eye on you.

This morning, before this happened, I had said a prayer. In that prayer I felt a strong impression that the word of my day was "together." As in we needed to spend time together, I thought at the time.  Now I wonder if it was for me to have more gratitude for the time we are together.  Love you!


2 comments:

  1. We are so glad you found her and that she was safe and sound inside! What a blessing and answer to prayers! Thank heaven for these wonderful children and great friends! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you found her and that she was safe and sound inside! What a blessing and answer to prayers! Thank heaven for these wonderful children and great friends! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete