Monday, December 7, 2015

Writing A Book, For You

Dear Kidlets:

The other day I was listening to the book A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle on my phone as I cleaned.  The author introduces the book and you get to hear her voice.  She said when her children were 12, 10 and 7 (like you are now), that she began to write A Wrinkle In Time.  She said she would read it to her children every night. She thought her book was a book written for children because they would have the imagination to understand it whereas adults would likely be baffled.

Now, when people begin writing books when their children are your children's exact ages and felt it critical enough to mention in the beginning of their books, I kind of take it as a sign that maybe I need to write too.

So I have been writing.  I read you what I wrote before you go to bed, after we read scriptures as a family and have family prayer.

You love it so much. Now, just to be clear, I am not 100% sure what exactly you are loving the most. Could it be that you love:

  • That I am writing a story for you.
  • It is a subject we are pretty universally interested in.
  • You dream of having a published mother.
  • You dream of making artwork for said published mother's books.
  • It is a great story.


My hope is that it is a combination of all of the above because I cannot get over your enthusiasm about this book.  Daily you will come to me and ask if I have written that day. I have missed a few days and your chagrin seems to grow and then diminish depending upon the number of days I have missed.

But, if you catch me working on the story, you come into the room and try to pretend your watching a movie or something next to me--until I catch your eyes scanning the words on my screen, at which point you are either banished from the area next to me or the room--depending on your determination to "get ahead" of the others at bedtime.  Or if you see that I am doing something else you will come to me and say, "Mom, write!   Please, Mom!"

The things I love most about this are that you are really driving my creativity.  I can't think of anything more flattering than to hear you repeat several times a night, "Mom, this story is sooo good. You HAVE to publish it!  Can I be your illustrator?"

Even you, T, who are very particular in the type of stories you like, have been asking for more!  In my head my mind is doing a victory dance.

Whether it will ever be published? Is your point of view objective?  Who knows.  But, just the writing is a dream come true when you, my dear children, make me feel amazing, by your support and joy in the writing.

I love your feedback and I especially love your anticipation.  But more than anything I love you!

Love,
Your very own mother dear

No comments:

Post a Comment