Monday, October 12, 2015

Beverly Cleary's Children's Library

My friend Lindsay, asked me a little while ago to go to the Multnomah Library and get her a Ramona Quimby t-shirt.  


I went to the wrong library first. It looked just like the right one. Honestly. I would like to blame it on Google Maps, but I have to say that going to the wrong place with the same name happens too often for me to blame it on the app.


Anyway, the librarian was so kind to direct me to the right library and to give me a walking tour map of Ramona's neighborhood (aka Ms. Clearly's neighborhood).


Sadly, I couldn't take advantage of it right then, I had to get home to pick up my children for lessons. She told me that they have a wing named after Beverly Cleary.


I said yes right away.


My brain went into overdrive and I decided that if I was going to get something Beverly Cleary-wise that maybe I had better study up on her, even if what I was getting was going to be for my friend.


Let me tell you, I think Beverly Cleary and I would be friends.  I started with her second memoirs On My Own Two Feet and I felt like she was telling me about it as if she were right there. [Happy sigh].

K slept until just before we left the library. You, K, smiled in her sleep.
 I love it when writers have that gift--that gift of emoting friendship through their words and memories alone.


But I went on Tuesday with a couple of friends, Stephanie and Gwendolyn Schwarz on our way to the Portland Art Museum (another post).


I loved the library. I found it . . .  inspiring.  It was also busy, but it is in the heart of downtown Portland, no wonder.  The grand stairwell was beautiful and had wonderful etchings on each step.


The t-shirts, sadly, are no longer sold there. It was still a wonderful adventure!  Thank you for the trip, Lindsay. I hope you find some Ramona Quimby shirts.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase, but I'm glad it turned out to be a fun one! Have you ever been to Grant Park to see the Ramona and Henry Huggins statues? It's near the Klickitat Street neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete