Friday, February 27, 2015

Be the Brave One

Dear Children of Mine:

In Albany, Oregon, near where we live, there was an event that could have been very sad this week.  In one of the middle schools a student handed out a pact that some students signed that said they would commit suicide this weekend.

Walktheline Kinchoi Lam
(Posted with Permission)
I heard this from my friend around 3 p.m. and I checked with my school to find out if they'd heard about it and they told me it was just a rumor.  Then an hour later my friend, Cristina, sent me the link to the article telling about it.

I was shocked. This was too close to home.

Then as I thought about it I thought about the child that told her parent(s).  I thought about how much courage that may have required. I thought about that parent calling it in to report it to the authorities and again I am grateful for their courage and determination to do the right thing.

When events like these happen, we seldom think of the stoppers or prevent-ers.  I am so grateful for them.

I thought of all the prayers for protection for and from dear ones of those students and I thought how those prayers had been answered through the actions of the prevent-er.  I thought how, we as parents near that place (and hopefully far away) will savor seeing the sweet locks of hair, those blinking eyes, and the nearness of their sweet ones.  Then realize they have them, perhaps because of the one who had courage to speak up.

If you ever have a time when you need to tell on someone because they are thinking of or are hurting themselves or others--speak up.  You never know the difference you can or will make.  It could make all the difference.  If a teacher or adult does not listen to you, tell me.  I will help tell the people that can stop it.

I love you!

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment