Friday, October 10, 2014

How We Have Happy Children

My sister-in-law recently asked me to write a post on how to have happy children.  So, dear ones, let me tell you why I think you are (generally) happy.

1.  You know you are a child of God.  We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and one of the fundamental beliefs we have is that "ALL HUMAN BEINGS—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny."    With knowing this, you strive to treat one another with love and respect.  Don't get me wrong, you are normal children, and have your fair share of spats.

2.  We emphasize and celebrate kindness.  You tell me about the times in school or at church, with glee, when you did something nice for someone.  It makes my heart brim with pride.  I try to make sure that if I am serving someone outside our family that I involve you, so you know that we try to love other people and serve others with joy.  Dad also tells you when he serves others, so you can know that he is doing his best to serve happily.  Mosiah 2:17, from The Book of Mormon--another testament of Jesus Christ it states:
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

When you were 5 and 6 S, whenever you got any goody from school or from church you would double check with the goody-giver to see if they had two extra for your brothers and you would happily share whatever you had.  Often I would have people mention to me that you surprised them at your giving heart.
3. We find joy in gratitude.  Before each meal we have a blessing on the food. In the prayer, prior to asking blessings on the food we usually say a few things we are thankful for.  When any one of us, especially me, is feeling a little on the grumpy side, Dad will pull us aside and say, "Okay, now we need to say five things that we are thankful for about [current grumpy-pants].  This usually ends with a lot of smiles and a few giggles.  

4.  We love each other.  We laugh at each others ridiculous jokes. We quote movies together. We cheer each other on.  We are fiercely loyal.  We eat dinner together.  We pray together. We read scriptures together and strive to liken the scriptures unto ourselves. We work together.  We play games together. We watch movies together. We love to be together.  We love to laugh.

R you said that you are happy because you have the best parents that love and care for you and that teach you about the Gospel.  You also said, R, that you have the best brothers and sisters that usually share.  (Aw, shucks, you're super, R!  We love the compliments). 

Lastly, I should finish with--our lives are a work in progress. We are always learning and re-learning how to be what we strive to be.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment