Tuesday, November 5, 2013

PSC

Portland's Lucky Per-diddle with the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall where I sang this last weekend.

Portland is capturing my heart one place at a time. Turns out, I kind of love downtown. What brought me to downtown Portland? The Portland Symphonic Choir is what brought me here. We sang Britten's War Requiem.

I didn't think I could like a piece that seemed to echo movies that make a little tear in my soul.
The choirs and orchestra made the music feel like we were in a place where soldiers were marching, bombs were falling about us and we were desperate, running for cover and praying.  At one point an angel comes down and rescues someone we care about greatly. It is a great work.  After each performance it took the audience a good five to ten seconds before clapping to digest that it was done.

The choir is amazing. I think at least a quarter of it is the music professors and teachers in the area another quarter is of people that are full-time or hopeful full time musicians. There are a good number of people that have been in the choir for over 20 years.  I have never seen such focus in a choir. There is little chit chat and a lot of determination. There is a palpable disdain for those who don't know the music as well as they should, which is quite motivating. Promptness is valued highly.  There is even a handbook. I love it! I love having a few hours of each week where I can sing and focus on something completely different from my normal routine. We get several emails each week and they often tell of auditions for different groups like the operas in the area. 

I am so grateful for the opportunity!  It's glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment