Monday, August 26, 2013

Cannon Beach

I miss was happily reminded of Brooklyn (remember, I am trying to keep this blog upbeat-ish).  When I say Brooklyn,  I mean all the dear people that I know and the places that I cherish in my memories. 

We drove to the shore and the Oregon State Parks recently. It was beautiful! Seeing the Tillamook  Lighthouse is now crossed off my travel list. It was a glorious, bright sunny day. It was warm, which if you know much of the Oregon Coast is a rare and glorious commodity. I was reminded of the dear adventures that we shared with friends in Brooklyn--into the city and to the beach.
Last year, or was it the year before, Shawna and Joey and you kidlets and I went to the beach almost every week. It was a twenty minute drive. It was always very warm and the water was slightly cooler than the heat of the city--so it felt heavenly.  There were crabs in the rocks for us to search for and find and we usually found some within the first few minutes we were there.
This time, Erika, my friend held you, K and watched you, R, S, and T and her kidlets A and B while I ran out into the water--the only one clad in the normal swim suit while everyone else in the water wore the sensible wet or dry suits. I was in there five minutes, each moment I was breathing deeply thinking, "Brooklyn was so nice. I miss sitting in the warm water bobbing up and down with the waves and chatting with Shawna while I watch my kids play." I had to mentally put those thoughts out of my head with more comforting thoughts like, "I used to play in this freezing water for around an hour or two when I was a kid, I have more padding now, of course I can do this!"  Well, it worked until my five minutes was up, then I tried to look casual as I nearly skipped  out of the water thinking very warm thoughts and onto the dry, warm--but not hot--sand.
This is how it felt in the water What an amazing photo!

Later my friend and I were talking and she said the beach was not what she expected.  Another girl near us, that has lived here longer, laughed and said, "That's why we call it the coast, not the beach, because it is cold."  
 On our way home we stopped at a restaurant called Burgerville.  We got their very tasty onion rings and blackberry milk shake (which I have not stopped craving). It is a little more upscale than McDonalds, in that they they bring you your meal, but you order at the counter.  I did not leave a tip.  I can almost hear an audible gasp from any New Yorker reading this, and honestly, I did have a little guilt, but the people I was with said not to worry about it.     It felt strange, but as you know tipping is one of my pet peeves so I the feeling did not last long.

1 comment:

  1. We had so much fun at the beach that summer. I have only been to the beach once this summer. We miss you. I enjoy reading your blog and all the fun adventures you are having.

    ReplyDelete