Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Mother of All (our) Moves

This move has proven to be the most challenging and difficult.  The last five years, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, are the longest that we have lived anywhere.

Many dear friends came to help us move out our furniture and clean on Saturday and I cannot tell you how grateful we are/were. 
I even had to get rid of the dishes from my wedding. Only one bowl, three salad plates and five big plates had survived. I did manage to take my china.
One of the things about Brooklyn is that they recently changed their trash laws.  It used to be that you could only put six things out on the curb to be taken, which is what I still thought.  But Daddy called and they told him that he could put out as many things as he needed to. So all the contents of our house, except for the boxes that we were taking on the plane were spewed out onto the street, except the few things our good friends took for their families (which made me feel very grateful, so thank you for doing it if you're one of those dear people). 

When they had taken down our mattress, you S, T and R went out and jumped on it like it was a trampoline with several of the neighborhood children. You did that until it started to rain and you came back into the house soaking wet.

We had worked hard all day and I think I can honestly say that I had never seen you work so hard.  You fell right to sleep moments after your heads hit the pillow (for which I was very grateful). K, you were so good to sleep almost the entire day and only eat when I was completely tired and desperately needed a rest.

Daddy was up all night putting things out after the elders and some men from our ward came to carry out the heavy things.  He got it all out and there was an early trash pick up around 2 a.m. and they picked up one measly bag and left all the rest. Daddy knew he had to do something since quite often the mentality of the city, as we had found, was that the workers like to do the barest of the bare minimum and who cares if it impacts any one negatively (sorry, that is harsh, but that is how it felt---it's completely different in Oregon). So Daddy spread out the stuff so the trash men would pick it all up. 
Daddy is really amazing?!  It was one of those many times that I thought to myself how incredibly blessed I am to have married such a hard working, determined man!  I hope you are just as determined and hard working like him because if you are nothing will stop you from accomplishing your dreams and goals.

There was a white van that the people filled to the brim with stuff they wanted to take.  They sat by much of the stuff for the entire night. Once Daddy saw someone stop to look at a chest of drawers and they walked over to the guy and said, "That's ours, but you can have it for $10."  The guy said, "Uh, no thanks" and left.  I would be lying if I did not say that perturbed me.  My guess is that is how they make a few extra bucks.
Daddy brought out the extra trumpets and they started playing them. It was 3 a.m. and they were playing trumpets on the street, until the police came and told them to stop.  They were so happy to get all those things, so that made me feel glad. 

They left at around 5 a.m. and Daddy finished around 6 a.m.  They left a lot of stuff.  The garbage men took everything.  We were so relieved. We did not want another sanitation ticket--they are expensive (think $100-200 a pop). 

Even now, two weeks later, I am soooooo grateful that that day is over.  It was probably the longest day of my life and thinking about it makes me feel tired.

On Saturday more dear friends came and helped us clean.  They took many of the things we had left (yay).  You, S and T, went to Whitney Jordan's house and played with your friend Blake. While R, you stayed and helped me with K.  I love you for that! 

1 comment:

  1. What a move! It must feel kind of nice though to get to start fresh.

    ReplyDelete